“Good night, sleep tight and don’t let the bedbugs bite!!” -a familiar rhyme your mother might have said when you were a child at bedtime. And whether or not she was sincere in her warning against bedbugs, we at Pete’s Pest Control encourage you to take this advice seriously.
These apple seed-lookalike insects are an unfortunate infestation of any structure and facing this pest is no small feat. But before you realize their presence, here are some important facts you ought to know.
- Only a few decades ago, the prospect of a bedbug infestation was a bit of a novelty as insecticides proved extremely effective. However, since the early 2000s, reports of bedbugs have significantly increased. It is suggested that this heightened prominence is due to the insect’s evolving resistance of several insecticides.
- It is important to note that bedbugs do not transmit disease or pose any serious health threats to humans. However, they are certainly a nuisance and are never welcome in any sort of building.
- Bedbugs do not exclusively live in rundown motels. They will commonly take residence in homes, apartments and condos, college dorm rooms, overnight camps, hospitals, and even movie theaters. Additionally, they are found in all fifty states, though they will more commonly inhabit urban places with higher population densities.
- These insignificant-looking bugs are true survivors. They can live for several months without a meal and are able to withstand temperatures from nearly freezing to upwards of 122 degrees. Their smart and methodical hiding tactics have also enhanced their survival rate, making these little guys difficult to exterminate.
- DIY methods of extermination are typically unsuccessful. You will need to seek professional help upon a bedbug infestation.
If you find these unwelcome visitors in your home, office space or anywhere in between, please give us a call to rid your space of this pesky nuisance.