Cockroaches are the world’s most common household pest and likely the most dreaded too. They are not only icky, but they are also quite large. Ranging in size from a ½ inch to three inches long, these creepy-crawlies are the epitome of disgust. That’s why a household infestation of cockroaches is no small issue. They cause your house to become much less of a home and rid it of all comfort. And so in this article, we will discuss the different methods for exterminating these bugs and preventing their return.
How to rid your home of cockroaches:
- First, if you suspect an infestation, check to see where in your home has the biggest problem. Use a flashlight to check the dark corners, crevices, and other hard-to-see hiding spots. Be particularly attentive to popular roach dwelling places such as behind the fridge, under the sink, and inside cabinets and shelves. You might also use glue strips to identify their favorite hangout places. Strategically place these in areas that are most likely to catch the most roaches. Monitor these strips for a few days to a week. Those that capture the most roaches will require the most treatment. This allows you to be more thoughtful in where you place your bait or poison.
- Place gel bait in your home. This is an effective cockroach killer that can be easily applied underneath baseboards, in cracks and crevices, and near all areas that are most likely to attract roaches.
- Use bait stations to kill larger populations of roaches. This method attracts cockroaches into the stations to feed on the poison. Once they’ve consumed the poison, the infected bug will return to its home and pass along the poison to the other roaches.
- Spread boric acid powder over affected areas. This substance is a common product in things like clothing, detergent, and toothpaste. And while it is harmless to humans and household pets, it is deadly to cockroaches. However, it is not recommended to be used as one’s sole method for ridding a home of cockroaches.
- Call on professional assistance. When you can no longer devise your own home remedy to get rid of an infestation, be sure to call on professional help. A pest specialist can exterminate the cockroaches in your home and provide a solution for ultimate control. This is likely to be your most effective and hands-free option.
It is also important to note that your best method for achieving a cockroach-free home is preventing their initial infestation. With daily cleaning and proper food storage, your home is made less susceptible. And remember, cockroaches are in search of food, water, and shelter. So, do not incentivize them with these provisions. With appropriate preventative measures, you are far less likely to be confronted with such pests. However, keeping a clean house will not totally eliminate your odds of getting cockroaches. If you’ve done all that you can to prevent and rid your home of these critters, do not hesitate to reach out to us at Pete’s Termite and Pest Control. We are expert bug exterminators and are prepared to serve your home. Call on us today!